Real estate is positioned well for the future...
From our Coldwell Banker blog...
* "Baby boomers are in their prime real estate buying years and are 78 million strong.
* The Pew Research Center reports minority homeownership levels still have room for improvement. The gaps between white and minority households remain significant with homeownership rates for Asians (59.1 percent), African-Americans (47.5 percent) and Latinos (48.9 percent) well below the 74.9 percent among whites.
* Immigrants are moving to the U.S. by the tune of 1.1-1.5 million a year depending on the source. These are legal immigrants who add value to our country and society. They need housing.
* Echo boomers will likely have similar economic impact in coming years that their baby boomers parents have had through their lives. Echo boomers are born between 1977 and 1994 and are 73 million strong and according to the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University, 4 million turn 21 each year.
* Between 2010 and 2020, the Census Bureau projects U.S. household growth to be in the range of 1.25 to 1.5 million per year, which will create an additional demand for housing. This should equate to a demand for 12.5 -15 million total new households during this decade.
Why is now a smart time to buy?
"I.I.I.P. Inventory, interest rates, incentives and price. In most markets around the nation, home inventory has increased giving buyers a greater choice. At the same time, mortgage rates remain at near historic lows and home prices have seemingly stabilized. 2010 saw median prices increase slightly by 0.2% to $172,900. This has made home affordability the best since at least 1973 and maybe ever."
Thanks for reading, and let me know how I can help, always!
Silicon Valley Real Estate
Los Altos Specialist
Mortgage rates: Week ending 8/4/2011 30-yr. fixed: 4.39 fees/points: 0.8% 15-yr. fixed: 3.54 fees/points: 0.7% 1-yr. adjustable: 3.02% Fees/points: 0.5% (Source: Freddie Mac)